Candied Peel


I am fairly new to home made candied peel.
It somehow didn't occur to me that I could make it myself.

When I did I felt quite foolish at not trying before.
Although time consuming, it's really very easy ...

However I have lost my recipe
and having only made it a few times I could not rely on memory!

I had a little look online and found a recipe from Waitrose that seemed similar.
So I gave it a try.

It didn't quite go to plan
but I learned a few things along the way
... for next time.

  I then found a few photos from last year which gave me an aaaaH moment!


So this isn't a recipe more a set of guidelines ...

Candied Peel
Vary the fruit according to taste, however cooking time and syrup quantities will need to be adjusted accordingly if you use larger fruit
I used :
5 sweet navel oranges
3 lemons
500g caster sugar

*Try and choose fruit that has a thick skin and pith as this will result in a tender piece of candy  unlike some of the shoe leather that I ended up with this year 
  • Firstly score the fruit with a knife through the skin and pith into 4-6 pieces then peel away the skin leaving the fruit intact or halve the fruits and juice them (this time I segmented the oranges and juiced the lemons see photo above)
  • Cover with cold water, bring to the boil then drain and cover with fresh water and bring back to the boil then simmer (lid on) until the fruit is tender to a knife (approximately 60-90 minutes depending on the thickness of the skin). The pith should look transparent.
  • Strain the fruit through a sieve and either retain the liquid or pour away (opinion differs). This year I poured it away but I'm sure I kept it last year for the next stage.
  • Next dissolve the sugar in 250 ml water (fresh or retained) gently over a low heat, do not stir

Do not rush this stage
  • When all the sugar has dissolved add the cooked peel to the pan
  • Bring to a gentle simmer and cook over a low heat for 2 half hrs, lid off

The syrup will gradually reduce and thicken 
stir only when necessary *


  • Remove the peel with a slotted spoon and lay it on baking paper to dry and absorb any residual syrup or on a rack with a tray underneath to catch the syrup . I have never needed to leave it any longer than a few hours to dry

This year I was disappointed that the sugar syrup crystalised when the fruit cooled
resulting a crusty sugar coating.
* I stirred it too much!


I found a photo of last year's peel


Sticky, but glossy and no crystalisation!

Try not to stir the syrup.
Lesson learned.
  • Transfer the cooled fruit to a sealed container. It will keep longer if kept in larger pieces
  • I find it easier to use scissors to snip the peel instead of chopping with a knife
🔶

Once you've made your own there will be no going back.

Most of mine will provide the citrus kick to Christmas.
This year's cake is already baked. Then comes mincemeat and pudding.


The left over syrup was used to flavour icecream
with some finely chopped candied orange, additional zest
and a slosh of arancello.
Yum!

🔶

Finely shredded it also makes an excellent garnish
giving added zing to Orange squash cupcakes.


X



Comments