Apple butter


Last year while researching ways to preserve fruit 
I came across a few recipes for fruit butter.
I assumed it was similar to a curd 
and contained butter.
However it doesn't
but has a similar texture and is spreadable.
Hence the name.

I made a batch of rhubarb and strawberry based on this recipe 
(omitting the apple and altering the seasoning).
It was delicious and froze really well (it needs canning to preserve long term).
I didn't manage to make any this year.
But I did decide to make some apple.


I found quite a few recipes online but none that really satisfied.
A lot contained sugar, which I wanted to avoid.
I wanted to rely on concentrated fruit sugars acquired from slow cooking and reduction.
I didn't want toffee apple (this time anyway).
My apples were windfalls from my Mum and Mum-in-law.
A mix of cookers and eaters.
Honey was my answer 
and the obligatory addition of spice that works so well with apple.

The result is a smooth, thick puree with spice and apple tang.
The flavour can be altered by apple type, the amount of honey used and seasoning added.
(The honey flavour is very subtle
also I would have upped the cinnamon but hubby not keen).

I'd like to try adding dried apricot with orange zest and juice.
The combinations are endless.

Apple Butter
100 ml water
juice of a lemon
1.5 kg chopped apple flesh (after peeling and coring)
150g runny honey
1 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp groung nutmeg
pinch ground clove
1/4 tsp salt

Oven temp 150/130 fan


  • Add the water and lemon juice to the pan (any pan is fine as the apples cook quickly)
  • Peel, core and chop the apples, combine with the lemon solution as you go to avoid the apples browning
  • Stir through the remaining ingredients
  • Bring to a slow boil, taking care not the let the apples catch on the bottom of the pan
  • Simmer on a low heat until the apples are cooked through and juices running                               * this will vary according to the types of apple used
  • Blitz the mix until smooth, if there are any lumps put the mix through a sieve (it will be very wet and runny at this stage)
  • Transfer to an oven safe dish, approx 21 x 28 cm
  • Bake for 2-2 1/2 hrs (again dependent on water content of apples) stir well every 30 minutes the mixture will reduce and thicken from the outside in. It is ready when there is no residual liquid when a spoon is pulled through and reduced by half
  • When completely cool transfer to clean sterilised jars
  • It will keep in the fridge for several weeks the rest can be frozen but must be kept in the fridge when defrosted
  • If you wish to keep it without freezing you will need to follow a canning method
🍎

I absolutely love this apple butter and quite a bit was licked straight from the finger.
I then progressed to a spoon and a huge dollop in thick yoghurt.
It is also delicious liberally spread on toast.


I reckon it will be a great addition to roast goose, 
a pork chop or a sausage butty with fried onions.

I intend to make ice-cream, maybe fill a cake or two,
spread it on a warm scone or stir it through porridge.

I'll definitely be making more as it satisfies both savoury and sweet.
Give it a go.


X


Comments