Lettuce soup


I can honestly say I had never been enticed to try lettuce soup.
It carried no appeal what so ever!

I had however enjoyed braised lettuce,
which took me by surprise a few years ago.
And I recently tried griddling some chunky Little Gem 
on the BBQ to great success.

Cooked lettuce is a whole different ball game!

So when it became apparent that my hubby may have over catered on the lettuce front at the allotment and we could in fact supply the village ...
I had to find a recipe that used a lot on top of the usual salad consumption of four adults. I draw the line at breakfast!
That and the usual giving away.

Soup.
Surely it would wilt like spinach and use a lot?!

Well, yes it does.
And has a whole new flavour to boot.


Lettuce soup (curly leaved open types)

20g butter
10ml (2 tsp) olive oil
300g lettuce roughly shredded
1 medium onion finely diced
1 small garlic clove finely chopped
200g starchy potato diced small (peeled weight)
500ml veg stock (I use 2 Oxo veg cubes)
2 large stalks of fresh parsley (roughly 2 tbsp chopped leaves) keep stalks
S and P to taste
milk as required

  • Heat the oil and the butter until melted over a medium heat
  • Turn the heat to low, add the onion, cover and sweat until soft, 10-15 mins (do not let it brown) a tiny splash of water will help if too hot. Add the garlic and soften too
  • Now drop in the potato, stir for a moment or two then add the hot stock.
  • Simmer covered for ten minutes or until the potato is nearly cooked
  • Add all the lettuce and the parsley stalks. Keep stirring it will seem too much at first but will soon wilt down. Simmer for five minutes
  • Turn off the heat. The soup can now be cooled until needed the reheated
  • Or if ready to eat throw in the chopped parsley leaves (or when hot if reheating) and blitz with a stick blender or in a processor. Putting the parsley in at the last moment really boosts the flavour
  • Add milk to thin to the right texture
  • Season to taste (stock cubes can be salty)

  • Serve with a swirl of natural yoghurt, creme fraiche, cream if you have some. It is fine without. A spoon of pesto also adds another dimension of flavour. I've tried rocket and wild garlic pesto. I'm sure basil pestyo would be equally scrummy. Then more chopped parsley if you like it!
  • The soup makes a filling lunch with some crusty bread or a fresh appetiser to dinner with

 I can honestly say I love the flavour of this soup.
I have made it a few times and have noticed slight variations in lettuce type. 
But all equally yummy.
It was particularly good with some rosemary focaccia dipped.
See my previous post if you fancy giving that a whirl too.





Comments